Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Schoooooool ~ I hafta write an essay

So yeah, for college, I have to write an essay....a persuasive essay...
So what controversial topic do I pick??????? Hmmmmmm, let's see. I have already do the pro choice thing, so there really wasn't anything left there to piss pro lifer's off with. What's one of the most controversial topics in US politics right now? You guessed it~
THE WAR ON IRAQ
And of course, I love to piss people off, so don't even get me started on a 'woman's place' ~ (sorry nise, just wouldn't be able to say that I agree with aspects of the bible that state what a woman can and can't do or should or shouldn't do (maybe I'll never agree with that one ~ that was sooooo before my era) But it's okay, because you know I love to debate things, specially with you.

Anyway, so I choose the 'war on iraq'. Now what to debate, well I guess precisely as to why we should stay? I don't care what the reasons are that we went in. We are there. And we need to finish what we started. When Damian and his friend, Bryan, came home the last time from Iraq, they told me stories that many of us don't get to hear. But one little girl that they told me about sticks in my mind. These guys adored her, and she was about Meg's age or perhaps Kirstin's, but anyway. She was adorable. Big brown eyes. Just beautiful. Well, the Marines started to really take care of her, they would get her shoes and clothes and make sure that she had food. She just really touched their hearts and now these are big bad Marines that we are talking about. Well, I guess what happened was these insurgents these assholes found out that the Marines were doting on this family and not to say that she was the only one or the only family, but they started threatening her family and she had to be whisked away to safety. What the hell? Well, I think to myself, number one, would I want to grow up like that? Hell no, would I want my daughters to grow up like that? Doubly, no. So I look at the bigger picture. It isn't about weapons of mass destruction, it is about the freedom for these little girls that have every right to learn like the little boys. It is about the freedom to be able to speak to whom you want to without being in fear of someone bigger or bullier muscling you around. Granted our country isn't perfect, but it is a heck of a lot better than what they dealt with. So, I hit a personal view. I understand that our boys and gals are over there fighting and that lives are being lost. Granted, I don't want to lose my husband, but if he were to pass fighting for that little girls freedom, I know that he would be happy dieing for a cause that he believes in and one that his family supports. I know that my husband doesn't feel that they are in Iraq for no reason. He gets to see the reasons everyday that he is there. This is what we don't see. I wonder what it was like during the Civil War....hmmm wonder if some types of the same 'oppositions' were going on. Now I know that these are 2 totally different wars, but where we would be today if lives weren't lost. Under England's rule, no thank you.


I promise to keep you more up to date as my essay enfolds. I will be looking forward to the critiques....I should get an 'A' even if I piss everyone off.

4 comments:

dee said...

And of course, I love to piss people off, so don't even get me started on a 'woman's place' ~ (sorry nise, just wouldn't be able to say that I agree with aspects of the bible that state what a woman can and can't do or should or shouldn't do (maybe I'll never agree with that one ~ that was sooooo before my era) But it's okay, because you know I love to debate things, specially with you.
It never ceases to amaze and sadden me when people criticize the Bible without understanding it, or even trying to understand it. Do you even know what it says about what a woman can and can't do, or what her place is? Or what a man's responsibility is as a husband and a father? You make it sound like some archaic thing that 'modern, cool chicks' just wouldn't be caught dead doing, but I don't think you really understand what the Bible says about the role of a woman.
Sorry sweetie, but I just can't discuss this one with you. I know you think you're very modern, and so above the things that I believe, and your life is so much better, but we're just going to have to disagree on this one, ok?
I still totally love you though, so don't get too pissy at me when you call to yell and tell me what a bitch I am today, ok?

Kel~ said...

Trust me, I am not admittting to knowing all there is to know about the bible. Can't even say that I would know where to begin. Although, I am sure that you could show me. My observation is merely on the major religions that number 1 do not allow women to be a bishop, yada yada. I don't want to say that I wouldn't be caught doing it or that cool chicks don't but what I am saying is that I don't totally agree with all the philosophies that I see. I know that you have to know where I am coming on this one because you have done your own soul searching at one time. Trust me, again when I say that I don't know exactly what the bible says, nor would I claim to know what it says, which is why I am not ready to debate it with you, cause you would kick my hiney with it from here to Pluto and back, but guarentee that if it came up in discussion, I would want to know more about it, but that doesnt' mean that I would necessarily agree with it. It was like at the church the weekend that I was down there. I am sorry but the guest speaker was an ass, and it seemed that most people where offended, but yet no one stood up and said anything. They just talked about it afterward. I would love to hear that there was a written apology to your congregration, because it is comments like that and people like that who give a 'woman's place' a bad rep. Given in a diffeerent light, I don't mind taking care of my man or the house, but then again....I do. I have never been one to be told what to do, I like to do it because i want to. (You know me, so you may be able to make sense of my ramblings)

Kel~ said...

I think that the main reason that I can't agree is because everyone who reads the bible has their own interpretation of what the bible means.

I read a sermon: http://www.piney.com/ShellyAssembly.html
It challenges the accepted interpretations of the bible and it really is quite intriguing (sp?)

Again, I think that you know me well enough not to go into a debate without doing my research. Therefore research is underway.
I found some things that may pinpoint what I am trying to debate:

"There are a couple of verses that talk about women's role in church.

1 Cor 14:34-35 -
Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says. If they have any questions to ask, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings.
In the context it does seem this was because women were asking questions and disturbing the service.

1 Tim 2:11-13 -
Women should listen and learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve.
This seems to bring up the reason for men to have authority in the church, going back to Adam and Eve. And, at first (as Fake might think) this seems to be a slam against women - but we must take the whole of scripture into consideration.

Paul also wrote the following -
1 Cor 11:8-12 -
For the first man didn't come from woman, but the first woman came from man. And man was not made for woman's benefit, but woman was made for man. So a woman should wear a covering on her head as a sign of authority because the angels are watching. But in relationships among the Lord's people, women are not independent of men, and men are not independent of women. For although the first woman came from man, all men have been born from women ever since, and everything comes from God.

So here we see how God works equitably - The first woman came from man, but since then all men came from a woman. We also see that in relationships within the body of Christ, women are not independent of men AND men are not independent of women. We are all parts of the same body, but we are not all the same part.

Just because we are given different functions does not mean we are 'less' than people with other functions. Men were not given the job of birthing babies, does that mean men are less than women? In the same way, just because men are given the job to lead churches does not mean that women are less than men. Also keep in mind that the christian family is very important to God. Raising Godly children is of utmost importance to Him. If the man's job is guiding the church in the Spirit, certainly the woman's job is guiding her children in the Spirit. I think it is a shame how many people think this means that women are considered lower than men. That's obsurd since women have the more important job.


Perhaps my beef really isn't with what the bible says, but more over how some are allowing it to be interpreted. Perhaps, I just didn't state it correctly before. I guess to say what pisses me off is when men think that they are superior to women and use the bible as a justification.

dee said...

Perhaps my beef really isn't with what the bible says, but more over how some are allowing it to be interpreted. Perhaps, I just didn't state it correctly before. I guess to say what pisses me off is when men think that they are superior to women and use the bible as a justification.
Amen to that, sister! I hear ya, and you're preaching to the choir on that one. I feel the exact same way, and am constantly fighting against it in one form or another.
However, as you pointed out, it's not the Bible, but PEOPLE, that is the the problem. People can take any idea and try to find a verse to distort that will 'support' that idea. It's infuriating.
Don't worry. I really am with you on this one.
And no, I doubt that preacher apologized. And no, nobody walked out. See, that's a Southern thing though. Walking out and raising a fuss would have been rude, and that would have been just as bad as his comments. It's a whole different world down here, and it's taken me a LOT of time to get used to it. The South is the perfect example of the 'flies with honey' analogy.